We recently had photographer Donna Callighan invite AIGA BrandCentral into her studio to offer members an up close look at her process to shooting beautiful packaging, portraits, and environments. The video above takes us in the studio space for that night and below are Donna’s key insight to developing a successful photo shoot.
• Planning ahead saves time and money
• Putting the product in the buyers world helps make the human connection
• The more info you can provide your photographer (ie. Size images will be used/seen? or What is the condition of the items we will be shooting?) = the more accurate the price quote
• Shiny, Glossy or Metallic elements on products will require special lighting or post production work
• Detailed technical notes about lighting, camera height and lens, and set measurements are the key to consistent line extensions
• We LOVE layouts
• IT’S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHTING!
Donna Callighan fell in love with photography at the age of 16 and has devoted herself to the craft ever since. Donna Callighan’s PHOTOdesigns takes great pleasure in servicing the creative imagining needs for corporations, graphic designers, and advertisers by providing quality digital photography of people and products for over 25 years.